Saturday, March 12, 2011

What are the cost and quality of bathtub refinishing?

By Lee Wallender, About.com Guide


Question: What are the cost and quality of bathtub refinishing?


"I am considering refinishing my tub [versus total replacement]...and need to know is this a scam and what is the average cost and is the quality is worth it?" -- M. Snohomish, WA

Answer: Bathtub refinishing is in danger of entering the pantheon of home remodeling semi scams--along with vinyl siding and replacement windows--yet I do not understand why. I suppose it is because, along with the windows and siding, it is viewed as a "cover up" measure rather than as a "real" way of dealing with the problem. I say - go for it! While not as complete as a full bathtub replacement, or even a bathtub liner, bathtub refinishing is a legitimate way of solving the problem of a nasty bathtub. Besides, bathtub liners come with their own set of problems: they can trap water and you lose the beauty of the tub itself (provided that you had a nice tub to begin with).

First of all, I do not recommend DIY bathtub refinishing. You need to hire a local company with the skills and, most importantly, right tools for the task.

Quality

Quality varies from company to company, and in an informal poll of some homeowners who have had tubs refinished, quality seems to hinge on one thing: preparation. A poorly prepared bathtub results in peeling paint and unhappy homeowners. Another common complaint is chips. Many homeowners report that their refinished tubs get chips within months of refinishing, after even normal use. It is not known, though, which company did the refinishing, what they did, how they prepared the surface, etc. Also, this does not seem to be an industry-wide complaint.

Cost

Cost also varies, but at the time of this writing (Summer 2008), most homeowners appear to be spending around $550 for the service. Some homeowners say that they have paid $250-$300 for bathtub refinishing, but these also tend to be the homeowners complaining about the poor quality.

PKB Reglazing
www.phillipskb.com/bathtub_reglazing
(800) 951-5659 xt. 103
http://homerenovations.about.com/od/bathrooms/f/refinishbathpri.htm

6 comments:

  1. I really need some tree service in my yard. I have some trees that are rubbing up against the house. I think it will start to hurt both the house and the tree pretty soon. General Liability

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good to read blog with precise and necesary details into it. Really enjoyed complete reading and grabing valuable information inside. Even the language is simply and offers easy to read manner approach. Thank you for sharing such an important information.

    Bathtub Refinishing Plano

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really impressive & helpful blog for me, I was searching this kind of information from a long time. Thanks for help me.

    Septic Tank Services

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well!

    Tub Repair Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well!

    Bathtub Refinishing DFW

    ReplyDelete